Sunday, September 19, 2010

7 Weeks Out!


It's been a couple weeks since my last update, I have made a lot of changes in my diet and training since then. After much deliberation and careful consideration, I have reduced my meal frequency to 4 meals per day. Right now I can hear my clients saying “Andrew, you have always encouraged me to eat 6 meals a day to promote protein synthesis.” While it is correct that the body stops synthesizing protein every three hours; in a great caloric deficit, the constant supplementation of branched chain amino acids throughout the day can prove more useful than constantly eating small amounts of protein every couple hours. Here is some information from Dr. Layne Norton, about the importance of leucine; one of the three ingredients in branched chain amino acids:

It has been shown that in order for protein balance to become positive post workout, dietary protein, specifically the amino acid leucine, must be consumed and protein balance will remain negative until it is consumed.3,4

Leucine is one of the three branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) and is unique in its ability to stimulate skeletal muscle protein synthesis. In fact, leucine has about a 10 fold greater impact on protein synthesis than any other amino acid!”
For more information on Layne, I'd highly recommend his inspiring video Unleashed: http://www.biolayne.com/

Branched chain amino acids are even more critical when on a low-carb diet. At first I was on the fence to try this new approach, I've been in the habit of eating small meals every 2-3 hours for the last several years. Originally, it seemed daunting to eat nearly 70 grams of protein – 25% of my daily allotment – in one sitting. It has proved to be a much easier approach and it is actually quite satisfying. I don't have to prepare as many meals and my strength levels have remained high. In addition, I've begun preforming cardio on a daily basis – generally post workout, either steady state cardio or high intensity interval training.

My daily macronutrients intake over the last two weeks have been as follows:

275 grams protein
150 grams carbohydrates
60 grams fat

I've lost three pounds in the last two weeks which is ideal – any more would be over doing it. I simply take half of my carbohydrate allotment in the morning before my workout, and the other half afterwards – for evening workouts I make minor adjustments and have a small serving of carbs in the morning. My protein and fat is evenly distributed throughout my four meals.

Here is a quick look at my schedule:

8:00 – Meal 1
10:00 - 2 scoops BCAA
11:00 - Lift/cardio
12:30 - Meal 2
2:30 - 2 scoops BCAA
4:30 - Meal 3
6:30 - 2 scoops BCAA
7:00 - low intensity cardio
9:00 - Meal 4
10:00 – Bed


Here is a sample day from last week:
*Ratio is protein/carbs/fat
Meal 1: Whey protein, 62 grams oatbran, 40 grams oatmeal, 113g cottage cheese, 1 egg, 4 whites, fish oil – 70/75/16
Meal 2: Whey protein, can of tuna, 60 grams oatbran, banana, fish oil, 14 grams almonds – 75/71/14
Meal 3: 8oz Angus beef, 8oz Broccoli, 113g cottage cheese – 64/3/10
Meal 4: 6oz cottage cheese, 33g casein protein, 1 whole egg, 1 egg white, 24 grams peanut butter – 64/6/18
Total calories: 273/155/58 = 2,234 calories.

If I can continue to loose 1.5 pounds each week I will be able to reach 175 pounds the week before my competition on November 13th. I'm right on schedule as far as fat loss is concerned, although I have very little wiggle room and will need to strive to hit my calories on a day to day basis.

Questions or comments, you can reach me at andrewbora@live.com


No comments:

Post a Comment